Friday, February 20, 2009

When words fail to describe the dismay, there's always the facepalm

A Soldier recently exercised his Consitutional right to communicate with his Congressperson thusly (redacted for obvious reasons):

"[Dear Congressperson Jones:] Good morning, I just want to write to you to say what a great job you are doing for the state of [North Georgingtonahoma]. I am a Soldier...[with] a little over five years...and I'm currently in Kuwait now. Since being deployed and being in the military I follow the news a lot more, my only concern is, is there any other way deployed Soldiers can find out what is going on back home (news, government, etc.) other than the internet. It is sometimes hard getting on the internet due to mission...what idea's do you suggest?"

Let me explain. Soldier has access to free newspapers he walks past at least three times a day, free Internet at work 24 hours a day, free TV (30+ channels, including FoxNews and CNN) at every recreational and dining facility within a 500-meter radius of where he works and lives, free calls home whenever he wants -- and feels he doesn't have enough access to news from home. Not only that, he thinks that his Congressperson has the time to explain it to him -- when said Congressperson would really rather be doing something productive, such as driving cars into rivers, reading the 1100-page stimulus bill or entertaining lobbyists from the National Organization of Origamists (if one exists, I don't know).

I wish I were making this up.

For those that don't know, this means a lot of senior leaders in his organization have to take time out of their schedules to explain it in a letter to the Congressperson's staff, who will in turn explain it to the Congressperson. Who will, I hope, try to at least co-sponsor a bill making June 15th National Origami Day. I for one, will celebrate by neatly folding dollar bills into swans when I pay for anything at Wal-Mart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sympathy lies not with the senior leaders, but with that poor Adjutant forced to actually write the response memo.

Seriously, sir, I want some answers from this dude on why I had to drop the (much more important) work I was doing at that time to write a response to this BS. He says he doesn't have time to use the internet for news, but he has the time to use the internet to 1) find who his congressman is, which I'm sure he didn't know until this idea came to his head, 2) find out how to contact his congressman, and 3) write this email.

De Campo said...

FAIL

I hope this wasn’t one of my former dirtbags.