Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Of headphones and men, part 33 1/3

Update on the banned headphones in the pool: I finally saw the "Military Intelligence" Lt. Col. today, who told me he had read my initial message while he was away, and was not aware that the policy prohibited headphones in the pool but that the policy was under revision and he would consider my request.

Didn't I mention that he was the one who signed the policy back in September?

Oh, but the plot thickens. He informed me of a move that is currently afoot to ban headphones altogether on the outdoor track and inside the gym -- despite written policies to the contrary, some high-ranking officers and NCO's just can't live with people working out to their own music. Apparently some Colonels and Command Sergeants Major really don't have anything better to do; and when I told him just that, he didn't respond.

I also told him these are reasons why I don't go to on-post gyms back home.

But, I am itching for the pool to warm back up so I can use my new $50 Aquapac earbuds that just came in the mail today. At least I'll get to try them in Qatar tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir, please don't tell me this "move currently afoot" is really in the works. I have not heard a single story about someone hurting him or herself in the gym here due to wearing headphones. It's both unfortunate because those stories are usually really funny (fall off treadmills much, sir?) but also good, because if I can't listen to my music on the treadmill, I'm not running anymore, and then I'll be an epic failure.

De Campo said...

Never get off the boat.

M. Dunham said...

Dumb doesn't begin to describe those policies. That reminds of the policy they had at my old job where no one in my section was allowed to be on the internet for personal stuff, even though everyone else was ok and university policy also ok'ed it.

It also reminds me of when I got a serious business email from two people about using their preferred color of pen (red) to write a certain number on studies that involved radiation.